Re: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited)

On 8 Feb 2006, at 15:27, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:

[snippp]

>>> 2. RIF could allow for rules the processing of which goes beyond
>>> what currently is widespread. Eg rules with disjunctive conclusions.
>> I agree
>
> Here, milady, we part company.  I could agree with the example, but
> not with the principle that Francois expresses.  I agree with
> Dieter that we should not go out of our way to support
> expressiveness that is beyond the power of available tools to work
> with.  We will have enough on our plate to deal with commercial
> rules engine expressiveness, SWRL, OWL and RDF.  We should leave
> the next generation of Ph.D. research to the universities.

I see your point, and I didn't mean anything for which we would need
to "go out of our way", at least not very far --- as others pointed
out, however, it would be a pity if we would restrict ourselves to
what is "widely used in commercial systems now" and would not leave
room for further development, in case (!) that this restriction could
be easily overcome.

Now we can look into our crystal balls and see what will play a role
in the future, and we can discuss what "can be easily overcome"...

Cheers, Uli

[snippp]