Re: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited)

Uli wrote:

> I see your point, and I didn't mean anything for which we would need  to
> "go out of our way", at least not very far --- as others pointed  out,
> however, it would be a pity if we would restrict ourselves to  what is
> "widely used in commercial systems now" and would not leave  room for
> further development, in case (!) that this restriction could  be easily
> overcome.

I fully agree with this.  I am not in complete agreement with the "least
common denominator" principle, either, because the intersection of the
capabilities of "current commercial systems" probably does not have a model
theory.  So I am in favor of some kind of "completeness" over existing
capabilities within the common overall constraints.

> Now we can look into our crystal balls and see what will play a role  in
> the future, and we can discuss what "can be easily overcome"...

In my experience, if it can be *easily* overcome, it will have been overcome
and and in product by the time we finish discussing it!  To get a standard, we
must first agree on "what has already been overcome", and I think even that
discussion is still ongoing.  Then if there is still time, interest and a
willingness to commit funds, your crystal ball will be welcome.

-Ed

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark@nist.gov
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4482

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."