Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 2014-05-16 09:39 Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 16/05/14 09:24, cobaco wrote:
> > As to not supporting DRM putting Mozilla 'at an increasing competitive
>
> > disadvantage',  I don't believe that at all:
> You are free not to believe it; however, the relevant people at Mozilla do.
>
> > To those of us that are against DRM the absence of DRM support is a
> > positive bullet point, a competitive advantage, a feature, not the
> > opposite.

> If you were a significant proportion of the world's population, I'm sure
> things would look very different.

really? I keep hearing even those championing DRM-supporting actions say/write
things like 'nobody likes DRM, but ...'.  (heck, you're doing it in the mail
I'm replying to)

I think the need to phrase things that apologetically makes abundantly clear
how widespread the support for DRM isn't, at least  on the end-user side

The responses I've seen/heard, e.g. in the comment section at [1]
Show overwhelmingly that I'm not alone in that view (strangely comments
supporting mozilla's actions are strangely absent)

[1]  https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/reconciling-mozillas-mission-and-w3c-eme/comment-page-1/#comments

> > - By not matching actions to words (or the reverse) Mozilla is just coming
> > across as a big honking hypocrite, and statements like the above just
> > reinforce that
>
> Hypocrisy is saying one thing in public and doing another in private.
>
> We are saying "we don't like DRM, but sadly we have to implement it" in
> public, and we are doing exactly that, in public.

Mozilla doesn't "have to", Mozilla is "choosing to"
That's a crucial difference and not one you get to sweep under the rug

If Mozilla feels it can't resist the pressure of Hollywood to ram DRM through
our unwilling throats, then meh

BUT mozilla then doesn't get to make that choice while still pretending it's
doing anything other then caving in. Mozilla doesn't get to keep the moral
high ground if they make this choice (and there will probably be a fork as a
result of this)
--
Cheers