Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 16/05/14 11:00, cobaco wrote:
> really? I keep hearing even those championing DRM-supporting actions say/write
> things like 'nobody likes DRM, but ...'.  (heck, you're doing it in the mail
> I'm replying to)

"Nobody likes DRM" - but many, many people want to view Hollywood
movies, and are willing to put up with DRM to get them.

> The responses I've seen/heard, e.g. in the comment section at [1]
> Show overwhelmingly that I'm not alone in that view (strangely comments
> supporting mozilla's actions are strangely absent)
>
> [1]  https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/reconciling-mozillas-mission-and-w3c-eme/comment-page-1/#comments

Actually, there are some. But regardless, Mozilla is not a democracy.

> Mozilla doesn't "have to", Mozilla is "choosing to"
> That's a crucial difference and not one you get to sweep under the rug

OK. Mozilla is choosing to do this, because we feel this option is less
bad than choosing not to do it.

> If Mozilla feels it can't resist the pressure of Hollywood to ram DRM through
> our unwilling throats, then meh
>
> BUT mozilla then doesn't get to make that choice while still pretending it's
> doing anything other then caving in.

"Caving in" would be implementing DRM just like everyone else is
implementing it. Our solution is at least better, from a privacy and
security standpoint, than other solutions.

> Mozilla doesn't get to keep the moral
> high ground if they make this choice (and there will probably be a fork as a
> result of this)

There doesn't need to be a new one; I'm sure there are some quite
suitable forks out there already.

Gerv