Re: Removing @profile processing from RDFa Core

On Aug 14, 2011, at 20:28 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> I am making the edits necessary to remove @profile processing.... which doesn't turn out to be very difficult.  However, there is an issue we had not discussed previously.  Host Languages are able to define default collections of IRI mappings, terms, and a default vocabulary.

Correct, we should retain that in some way or other.

> We had done this to date via an RDFa Profile document.  Going forward, we *could* just specify any mappings in a Host Language specification and require conforming processors to hard code them.  In all likelihood they would have hard coded them in an @profile world anyway.
>
> However, we could also require that Host Languages continue to *define* their default settings via an RDFa Profile document.  There is nothing inherently wrong with the syntax of an RDFa Profile.  What people have objected to is the inline processing of @profile by an RDFa processor.
>
> So, I want to propose a couple of options:
> 	• Retain the RDFa Profile syntax definition. Allow host languages to define default terms, IRI mappings, and/or a vocabulary mapping using that syntax.

I am fine that, but making it clear, somehow, in the spec that RDFa processors are not required to parse that format which then becomes simply a vocabulary to document the RDFa profiles.

> 	• Allow host languages to define default terms, IRI mappings, and/or a vocabulary mapping, but do not require any machine readable syntax.  Implementations would be required to hard-code the definitions.
> 	• Allow host languages to define IRI mappings and/or a vocabulary mapping. but NO TERMS.  Instead, the terms are         defined via the vocabulary. Use the proxy vocabulary technique to connect terms to their ultimate definitions (assuming the host language definition is not definitive).

I am not sure why we would remove the term definition from the vocabularies; b.t.w., we have some backward compatibility issue there anyway...

Ivan