Re: Small @profile question

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> ...actually re-reading your email I see a third possibility which is
> probably what you mean. If A is processed without processing P, then
> if every CURIE or term in A relied on a mapping in P then no graph
> would be generated.
>
> If that's what you mean, then yes, that is possible.

Yup, that's what I meant - thanks for clarifying Mark :)

Rather than diving in to all the possible issues/cons I see with this,
as it's probably very well trodden ground, all I will say is:

1: It was my (possibly naive) understanding that one of the main
considerations when writing a spec or protocol, is to constrain the
specification such that possible points of failure and unexpected
behaviour are reduced to an absolute minimum (@profile appears to
introduce multiple counts of both, which previously did not exist.)

2: I really do think @profile could simplify the task of adding semantic
markup, I just feel like it's a nice feature for an RDFa IDE that
inserts all your prefixes for you, rather than part of the spec (let
along core).

3: When RDFa 1.1 hits the main stream I'd fully expect to see @profile
being the cause of every second RDFa related question/problem on sites
like stack overflow. I can already see the defacto responses and I'm
sure you can too: "you missed out a profile", "xyz prefix isn't in your
profile", "your profile's on a server that's went down", "rdfa:uri
should be a string not a <uri>", "somebody has edited the profile
document without you knowing" and so forth.

Apologies, but for my own peace of mind I had to at least say something.

> There have been discussions at times about adding triples to the
> triple-store even if they have unmatched prefixes, allowing them to be
> 'fixed' at a later time; but we've never got very far with that.

I can see why that may be needed when @profile is in RDFa, yet.. ouch.

Best,

Nathan