Re: Telecon Agenda - June 10th 2010, 1400 UTC

On Jun 10, 2010, at 08:27 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 23:10:46 -0500
> Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/role-attribute/#using-role-in-conjunction-with-rdfa
>>
>> I know that people disagreed with this, but if we could reach a
>> consensus I have a narrow window when I can update the draft before
>> publication.
>
> I don't think this draft should be attempting to make
> normative-sounding requirements for RDFa processors.

I fully agree.

> Rather, it could
> say something like:
>
> """
> When @role is included in a markup language that also includes RDFa
> Core attributes [RDFA-CORE], a Processor that supports both RDFa and
> @role MAY provide a graph that includes data from both. In that
> case, it MUST process the role values as follows:
>
>  * The subject is the value of @id if present. Otherwise the subject is
>    a unique newly created bnode.
>  * The predicate is the term role in the vocabulary defined at
>    http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab.
>  * Each value of @role is an object, forming an RDF triple with the
>    subject and predicate defined above.
> """

This text is completely orthogonal to RDFa. I think references to RDFa should removed, saying something like

"""
When @role is included in a markup language, a Processor that
generates RDF triples from the data MUST process the role values as follows:

 * The subject is the value of @id if present. Otherwise the subject is
   a unique newly created bnode.
 * The predicate is the term role in the vocabulary defined at
   http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab.
 * Each value of @role is an object, forming an RDF triple with the
   subject and predicate defined above.
"""

That processor may be a separate parser that puts RDF triples into an API Store, just like an hCard parser in our examples. Similarly to that hCard processor, the role processor has nothing to do with the RDFa attributes, though the generated triples may merge with the rest through the API. It is fine (and actually useful) to refer to this 'Store level merge' possibility in the text to show how the different processors may meet...