Re: Agenda for 15 May 2013

On 05/14/2013 12:20 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Andy has suggested that basic RDF should not have any built-in (required) datatypes, not even xsd:string or rdf:langString, and that all datatypes should be treated alike using the D-interpretation machinery. I peronally like this idea (it just seems neater) but would like us to take a decision on it, as it would need some (easy but) extensive edits to the current semantics draft.
>
> To emphasise, the current story is that RDF entailment requires that those two datatypes are recognized, I guess corresponding to the original plain and language-tagged literals which had no type and were therefore built into RDF syntax.

It sounds like a good move editorially.

What is the impact on implementations?   All I can see is that an
implementation that does "simple datatype entailment" would now be free
to NOT see that {ex:b ex:q "string"^^xsd:string} entails {ex:b ex:q
_:b._:b rdf:type xsd:string. } (as you have in appendex A) because it
would be free to not recognize xsd:string.     That seems like a
perfectly acceptable change, to me.    I can't imagine any
implementation which would do simple datatype entailment and *not*
recognize xsd:string -- that just wouldn't make sense in practice.

BTW, we fixed the parsing rules, so you can leave off the space before
the period in Turtle.   Or do you like it?

    -- Sandro