Re: Do IRIs indicate, identify, refer to, or denote datatypes?

On May 3, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Thomas Baker wrote:

> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 10:23:06AM -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> Datatypes are indicated by IRIs.
>> according to which IRIs they recognize as denoting datatypes.
>> the IRI rdf:plainLiteral must be interpreted to refer to the datatype defined in [RDF-PLAINLITERAL].
>> mapping between a recognized IRI and the datatype it refers to
>> The resource denoted by an IRI
>> IRIs with particular meanings, such as those identifying XSD datatypes
>> what exactly is denoted by any given IRI
>> Datatypes are identified by IRIs.
>> IRIs which are used to refer to datatypes
>
> Hi Pat,
>
> Do I correctly understand that datatypes can be (interchangeably) "indicated",
> "identified", "referred to", or "denoted by" IRIs (as above), or am I missing
> some subtle distinctions?

Thanks for the feedback.

"refer" = "denote". We had some internal debates about which one to use, so I was trying to use both interchangeably but always say they are synonyms.

"identify" is a word used by the TAG and other W3C sources to mean, I believe, the relationship between an IRI and whatever it connects you to when you use it with HTTP (or some other xxxxTP), ie the 'follow the link' relationship. This may or may not coincide with reference/denotation. I use it when talking about externally defined Webby connections between an IRI and something which are intuitively treated as the IRI 'naming' the thing.

"indicate" is left over from an old draft and I will get rid of it.

So yes, there is one distinction to be made, which I ought perhaps to clarify. And some language tidying to do.

Pat