Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

On Sep 26, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On 09/26/2012 09:42 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>> Yes! There is only one empty graph. +1 Pat, now my brain hurts less.
>>>

>> +1
>>

> It seems to me that when people say "named graph" they are often (very nearly always) referring to a g-box not a g-snap.

Hm.  That doesn't match my experience, even in the calls in
which we both participate.

I find that "named graph" *often* refers to a g-snap, though
the person using the term may not realize it -- even when they
do realize that g-box and g-snap are distinct -- until lots of
discussion and misunderstanding has passed.

> When I use the term "named graph", I am intentionally being ambiguous.   So, in fact there are lots distinct empty "named graphs", since they are empty g-snap containers.

I may have many distinct names for the same (immutable) g-snap,
regardless of the number of triples contained therein, 0 or more.

I may have many distinctly named (mutable) g-boxes, which may all
each contain the same g-snap (whether that is "the" empty g-snap
or otherwise) at some point in time.

Ted