Re: PROV Last Call - RDF WG review request

Paul, Luc,

We finally can answer to your request. Apologies for the repeated delays.

At its last telecon the RDF WG resolved the following [1]:

[[
RESOLVED: We reply to the Prov WG that we don't see any technical
incompatibilities between their work and RDF 1 or RDF 1.1 as we
currently imagine it.  If a suitable example is eventually included in
our docs, we will try to use PROV output therein.
]]

I include some points made in the discussions on our mailing list which
might be useful as background information for this resolution (see [2]
for the complete discussion thread):

* The RDF WG will provide a syntax for RDF datasets, which we think can
be used as a syntax for representing bundles.  You should consider TriG
to be the strawman for this syntax. We are in the process of resolving
the details of the dataset syntax.

* The RDF WG will not provide a semantics for RDF datasets. This means
that the PROV WG is on its own w.r.t. the interpretation of bundles
represented as RDF datasets.

* Basically, you should consider RDF datasets to be "syntactic
containers for logical expressions" [3]. The RDF WG does not provide a
mechanism to specify the nature of the relation between the "name" (see
remarks of Pat Hayes on weather "name" is an appropriate term [4]) and
the graph it "names".

Hope this is still of some use,
Guus, co-chair RDF WG

[1]  http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2012-10-17#resolution_1