Re: Sloppy inference rules

On Nov 22, 2012, at 12:26 AM, Jan Wielemaker wrote:

> I guess we should not (re)start this discussion unless there is
> a concrete proposal to introduce strings as subjects.   My quick
> intuition is that these are a few of the consequences that I don't
> like.
>
>  - Invites for poor modelling

I have never found the suggested examples compelling, but in any case, this should be handled by good-use guides and tutorials rather than hardwired into the syntax.

>  - Introduces interoperability issues

How so? (Do you mean with legacy systems: well yes, of course. But any change can be objected to on those grounds.)

>  - Harms efficient reasoning.  One of the nice things about
>    resources is that you can compare them quickly.  SPARQL
>    Lit1 = Lit2 is a much more complicated beast.

Incomprehensible. Equality between literals is if anything easier to compute than between IRIs. The problem of establishing owl:sameAs between two IRIs is probably worse then NP-complete.

Pat