Re: RDF-ISSUE-109 (ill-typed-so-what): What's the consequence of a literal being ill-typed? [RDF Concepts]

Richard,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, so I'll try to rephrase
how I understand your proposal, and then to rephrase my concerns.

I read your proposal as :

  any graph containing ill-formed literals should be inconsistent under
rdf-entailment

but recognizing an ill-formed literal in the general case requires a
knowledge of all possible datatypes.
So this makes it impossible to decide with certainty if a graph is
rdf-consistent in the general case.

It differs from the current situation because, as you point out,
any RDF processor supporting a *given* entailment regime can decide with
certainty if a graph is consistent or not under that regime -- although of
course it can not say anything about its consistency in other regimes,
which is ok.

So all processors will agree that the following graph:

    :foo :prop "abc"^^xsd:integer .

is consistent under rdf-entailment, and insconsistent under xsd-entailment;
and that the following graph:

    :foo a owl:Nothing.

is consistent under rdf-entailment, xsd-entailment or rdfs:entailement, but
inconsistent under owl-entailment.

Again, my problem is not that different entailment regimes differ,
it is to make one entailment regime undecidable in practice,
especially the most basic one (rdf-entailment).

I hope I made my point clearer.

  pa

PS: regarding the mandatory inclusion of xsd datatypes, it was just an
idea, but I won't fight for it :) It sounded to me as a more acceptable
compromise toward your proposal.