Fwd: status of xsd:duration in RDF

Peter,

this mail arrived as a question to your question, and I would like to answer it. I think that:

- yes, duration would just be 'added' to the list but there is no planned change on the 'status' of these types regarding the RDF semantics.
- actually, though not related to duration: would the fact that XMLLiteral becomes optional mean that D-entailment would not refer to this any more? If so, does that affect OWL 2 and RIF?

Thanks

ivan

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
> Subject: Re: status of xsd:duration in RDF
> Date: May 9, 2012 20:49:14 GMT+02:00
> To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> Cc: "public-owl-wg@w3.org" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>, Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@cs.ox.ac.uk>, "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
>
> Hi Peter!
>
> Am 09.05.2012 17:09, schrieb Peter F. Patel-Schneider:
> > Regardless of whether xsd:duration can make it into OWL 2, there is a
> > question of whether anyone in this group knows of any reason why
> > xsd:duration should not be added to RDF by the current RDF WG, aside
> > from a desire to have the datatypes in OWL match those in RDF.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> Two questions (with some implicit answers to your question):
>
> 1) What other datatypes are under consideration by the RDF WG to be "added to RDF"? There are a lot of datatypes being mentioned in the original RDF standard, which were not taken into account by the OWL 2 and RIF specs, such as xsd:gYear, xsd:gMonthDay, xsd:gDay, xsd:gMonth. So, one could argue, if these datatypes are going to be added to RDF (again), why should we (the OWL WG) then care about xsd:duration? It'll be then just yet another datatype that is in RDF but not in OWL 2 and RIF.

> [...]

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153