Re: Adding a datatype for HTML literals to RDF (ISSUE-63)

On 02/05/12 20:29, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 2 May 2012, at 19:15, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> I think I'm saying, start simple, prove a need for more
>> complicated.
>>
>> We can define a value space that is all character sequences (and is
>> disjoint from xsd:string).  Do we need to be more complicated?
>> What's the use case?
>
> One use case might be RDFa parsers with HTML literal support.
>
> Let's say you have @datatype="rdf:HTMLLiteral" on some element, and
> the element contains text with markup, and the desire is that the
> resulting HTML literal contains the text with markup intact.
>
> Now the RDFa parser may not have access to the actual HTML string,
> but only to a representation that has already been parsed into a DOM
> tree.
>
> So the parser may have to serialize the DOM into a string, which
> would probably be different from the original string.

Certainly something to consider.

Thought: if the original string isn't available, does it matter?   Will
it be available to anyone else?

> (Or is this nonsense and the parser could always just do
> myDOMElement.innerHTML to get the original HTML?)

I'm insufficiently up with the tool space to know.  (gavin?)

> Anyways, the advantage of having a value space that is isomorphic to
> the DOM is that you can parse and re-serialize the HTML and still get
> the same value.
>
>> (Not all RDF systems have access to info set support code now that
>> we are standardising Turtle and N-triples.)
>
> Yeah and that's why we're trying to change rdf:XMLLiteral to make it
> optional and to relax its lexical space.
>
> I imagine that rdf:HTMLLiteral would be optional too, and the lexical
> space should certainly be as unrestrictive as possible.
>
> Only those who want to compare HTML literals, or those who *need* to
> parse and re-serialize HTML literals, need to care what the value
> space is. (And yeah, if we can't come up with evidence that some
> systems need to do one of those, then there's little point in
> defining anything more complicated than a 1:1 L2V mapping.)

Comparison may be done in another system - these literals are published
and ingested by another system that might be asked if two literals are
the same.  e.g. a reasoner or a SPARQL engine.  Whether the ability to
value-equals two literals with different lexical forms is sufficiently
important, I can't say.

I feel that this isn't that likely - HTML5 literals are display material
to be passed about.  For that,  equality processing is unlikely, and the
fragments go in and come out on on some generated HTML.

	Andy