Re: Another try.

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 15:18 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
> [...]
> >> creating another place to stuff information. It seems now we're
> >> considering doing just that.
> >
> > Put another way, our technology has already created such a place for us, and we are considering making it official.
>
> Yes!
>
> Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm so backlogged I'm
> not sure where else. A question: if we do give ourselves this extra
> place for qualifiers, ... do you see any scope that property/value
> pairs could live there too, rather than solely using it for
> timestamps?
>
> This came up in the schema.org discussions recently: suggestion that
> almost any simple relationship (e.g. between an actor and movie they
> star in) could usefully be (lowercase) reified. This situation
> fragments the RDF vocabulary design world, since schema designer has
> to guestimate in advance which properties will be worth qualifying,
> and come up with an intermediate-entity-based-design instead.
>
> Examples:
> 1.) So if you look at DBpedia (driven from Wikipedia),
> something like
> <http://dbpedia.org/page/The_Sixth_Sense>  dbp:starring
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Bruce_Willis> .
>
> ...whereas the Freebase folk
> (http://www.freebase.com/view/en/the_sixth_sense and
> http://rdf.freebase.com/rdf/en.the_sixth_sense ... last time I looked
> carefully) have represented this stuff using an extra level of
> indirection. Neither is wrong/right. Often it's OK to know who starred
> in the movie; often othertimes, you want to know the character name
> etc.
>
> It's very common to feel this pain of "ok, there's a basic
> relationship here, but also some extra stuff..." and RDF doesn't do a
> lot to help vocab and app designers.
>
> 2.) Addressbook formats
> It's standard for addressbooks to allow users to keep notes about one
> of their contacts and phone numbers. But consider this in RDF, and the
> workflow of 'who decides what, when':
>
> In my iphone right now, I brought up the "Pat Hayes" record and hit
> 'edit' on phone number and email address. In both cases, it gave a
> list of commonly expected fields, but also lets me (usefully!) type in
> custom values too. See
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbri/6797635740/in/photostream
>
> ...this is another example where secondary aspects like 'mobile / home
> / work / main / home fax / page / [Add Custom Label], ...' are quite
> naturally read as annotations on a basic central property,
> 'phoneNumber'. And such is common in e.g. XML representations. With
> RDF, you have to choose up front whether this will be a 'phoneNumber'
> property pointing to some kind of intermediate entity that is
> decorated with info (home, fax, custom-stuff-here), ... or whether to
> point straight to the number. And if so, whether to use the most
> standard, well known property, or to replace it with the perhaps more
> informative (and obscure) sub-property instead.

Isn't this stuff handled just fine with subproperties?  This seems much
simpler than the general n-ary or time-parameter stuff, because it is a
subproperty -- every home-phone is also a phone -- unlike to time
stuff.    (It doesn't hold that every address-last-week is an
address-for-all-time.)

    -- Sandro