Re: RDF* implementations and PG/SA modes (updated list)

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 10:30:47 -0700
Cc: Steve Sarsfield <steve.sarsfield@cambridgesemantics.com>, public-rdf-star@w3.org
To: thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io>
On Aug 15, 2020, at 9:16 AM, thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io> wrote:

> Thanks for all responses, corrections and additions and an accordingly updated list:
>

>  SA  PG  Implementation  Notes - Documentation
>
>      +   AllegroGraph    in the works - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2020Aug/0021.html
>      x   AnzoGraph       https://docs.cambridgesemantics.com/anzograph/v2.2/userdoc/lpgs.htm?Highlight=rdf
>      x   BlazeGraph      https://github.com/blazegraph/database/wiki/Reification_Done_Right
>  x       GraphDB         http://graphdb.ontotext.com/documentation/9.2/free/devhub/rdf-sparql-star.html
>  x       Jena            https://jena.apache.org/documentation/rdfstar/
>  +   +   N3              deferred - https://github.com/w3c/N3/issues/27#issuecomment-644768502
>  x       rdf4j           https://rdf4j.org/documentation/programming/rdfstar/
>  x   +   rdfjs/N3.js     PG may become configurable soon - https://github.com/rdfjs/data-model-spec/pull/165
>  x   x   RubyRDF         http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/yard/file.rdf-README.html#rdf-rdfstar
>      x   Stardog         https://www.stardog.com/docs/#_edge_properties
>

> I see a tendency towards PG mode. Comments from SA implementers suggested that they chose this approach also because going from SA to PG is easier than the other way round. Also some PG implementers don’t seem to be particularily enthused about SA mode.

In RubyRDF, I have indeed implemented both modes, but my feeling is that we should restrict an eventual spec to SA mode. Looking at JSON-LD, where we have a preliminary note for JSON-LD* [1], implementing PG mode for expansion and compaction is impractical, and the transformations really should be symmetric.

PG mode could be considered a simple entailment of SA, which should be described, but I’d say that the base spec should be restricted to SA.

Gregg

[1] https://json-ld.github.io/json-ld-star/