Re: RDF* implementations and PG/SA modes (updated list)

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 at 03:31, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:

> In RubyRDF, I have indeed implemented both modes, but my feeling is that
> we should restrict an eventual spec to SA mode. Looking at JSON-LD, where
> we have a preliminary note for JSON-LD* [1], implementing PG mode for
> expansion and compaction is impractical, and the transformations really
> should be symmetric.
>
> PG mode could be considered a simple entailment of SA, which should be
> described, but I’d say that the base spec should be restricted to SA.

Kinda agreed that PG mode seems both less flexible and more problematic to
implement in a performant/scalable manner. One example of less flexible
being that PG mode currently does not allow assertion of an RDF* annotation
in separate named graph from the one that contains the ground fact. I also
am very curious how the various existing PG implementations handle
retraction.

I'm fine with a spec describing both approaches, though I'd prefer SA as
the default and PG as an "optional extra" (perhaps like you say, an
entailment extension). We do need the flexibility that SA offers available
for our users, though.

Cheers,

Jeen
--