Re: do Property Graphs always assert annotated arcs?

Hi Pierre,

Just a quick response from a representative "property graph" user. I have
not been active on this list so far, and actually mistook your email for a
gremlin-users post. So let me just say what I would have said.

First of all, property graph frameworks are usually not prescriptive about
semantics, so your property-qualified edge "means what you want it to
mean". At the same time, it is generally not the case that an edge
qualified with a property like "since" would be considered to be asserted,
independently of the property. A canonical example is the TinkerPop toy
graph <http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/reference/#graph-computing>,
which has a "weight" property on each edge. The edge created{peter, lop}
has a weight of 0.2, which basically means that the statement "Peter is a
creator of LOP" is a non-assertion. I read your :since and :until example
exactly as you do: the statement spouse{alice, bob} is asserted
conditionally on a logical point in time.

Josh