Re: do Property Graphs always assert annotated arcs?

Hi all,

Most of my experience with graphs is with a frame-based approach that most
closely resembles a triple-store - not explicitly RDF but close enough.
I’ve been exploring both RDF/triple-stores and PGs as candidates to support
a new project.  I’ve been following the RDF* discussion with interest.

For what it's worth, I wouldn’t assume that edge-metadata (edge-properties
in PG world) must be asserted at the time an edge is asserted.  There are a
variety of scenarios in which one might wish to update that metadata, and
I’m pretty sure there’s nothing technically preventing such updates in
existing PG implementations.  For example, one might:

   - update metadata: alter the value of an already-asserted property:value
   pair (e.g., a newer model indicates that the weight of an edge should be
   adjusted from 0.2 to 0.8)
   - add or subtract metadata: assert (or remove) a value for a property
   that was previously un-populated (or populated), to reflect new knowledge
   we have about a relationship.  The change could be incremental and need not
   affect other properties, so deleting-and-reasserting the edge with all of
   the other pre-existing (and unaffected) properties would be inappropriate.

—Jeff

[image: email_sig_logo_vert.png]

Jeff Lerman

AI Scientist