Re: Consolidating triple/edges -- occurrence set version

Hi Andy,

Thanks for writing down this consolidation attempt! Unfortunately,
there seems to be a problem in there ...

On Wed, 2024-01-10 at 22:46 +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> [...]
>
> In this variation, the RDF abstract data model has "occurrences sets"
> as RDF terms.

Given that you say "as RDF terms", I assume that each such "occurrences
set" may be used as subject or object of an RDF triple. Correct?

Notice that this question is just asking for clarification, and it is
not actually relevant regarding the problem that I want to point out.

> An "occurrence set" for S,P,O is the set of all named occurrences
> that have S,P,O in those positions. There is one occurrence set for
> every triple.

I would have a question about the latter sentence but, since this is
also not relevant regarding the problem, I keep it for the moment.

The relevant part is in the first sentence of this paragraph; namely,
by the definition that you give here, the kind of things that an
"occurrence[s] set" contains are "named occurrences", for which next
you define:

> A named occurrences is a pair of (name, occurrence) where
> "occurrence" is member of an occurrence set.

Here comes the crux of the problem. By this definition, a "named
occurrence" contains something called "occurrence" that "is member of
an occurrence set". If I combine this definition with your definition
of "occurrence set" as given above, I notice that such an "occurrence"
(within a "named occurrence") must be a "named occurrence" because,
according to your definition of "occurrence set", the elements/members
of occurrence sets are "named occurrences". In other words, by these
definitions, every "named occurrence" contains a "named occurrence",
which contains a "named occurrence", etc. Hence, there is an
unresolvable cycle in these definitions.

Or did I misunderstand anything?

-Olaf