Re: Terminology definitions ; motivating example

On 07/01/2024 23:59, Niklas Lindström wrote:
> Absolutely. I have added *draft* definitions (based on what I've
> gathered so far, as I recently wrote to the list [1]; also trying to
> answer Thomas' follow-up on that).

Thanks - that's start.

Definitions don't need explanation.
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf12-concepts/#section-triples

The audience is readers wanting precise definition.

We don't have to get the text exactly right and minimal immediately,
this is the strawman proposal. It is where it has got to get to
eventually for the terminology that ends up in the final WG output.

It was someone's suggestion/request that we have terminology to cover
most proposals so we can compare.

One or two sentence, standalone text, maybe followed by some short
paragraphs about the item.  That's for a different audience - readers
who want a concise description.

RDF Concepts also uses "NOTE" which are paragraph-sized additional,
non-normative material.

The whole of RDF 1.2 Concepts (without appendices) is currently about 20
pages.

And yes - shorter is harder [A]. Hopefully, we can circle inwards.

> (While that must be further edited/revised/overhauled collaboratively,
> if it was too contentious to begin with we might need to open an issue
> for "Proposed Defininions"; or create a document in the repo and hash
> out details in a PR.)

Process-wise :

True - GH wikis don't provide discussion.
We can use email for now and sort out process at a meeting because
definitions are short enough.

> As for Motivating Example, do we want just one illustrative example,
> such as Enrico's "marriage case" (event-oriented)? Or a couple more,
> e.g. my recent "library case" (event-, identity- and "description
> provenance"-oriented), and something from a scientific domain, such as
> the UniProt case [2]? Unless we miss something crucial in those from
> our collected and analyzed use cases [3], such as a strict data
> provenance use case?
>
> (Also, would anyone else like a more detailed scenario, akin to what I
> sketched out in [4]?)

One or two short examples. The motivating example is for use in RDF
Concepts. It would be a short example akin to the CG report or
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf12-concepts/#section-quoted-triples

The CG report has one example, then one about annotation syntax, then
one on each of SPARQL Query and SPARQL Update.

On Friday (2024-12-05) were both for and against points about using
annotation syntax at that point.

It does not have to cover every aspect of the feature nor be complete
background. The purpose is to help the reader for the definitions to come.

On Friday, there wasn't much enthusiasm for a new WG Note on the area
RDF-star.  Gregg's suggestion was for longer material to go into the primer.

https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-primer/#section-data-model

     Andy

[A] https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Blaise_Pascal