Re: Semantic Predication: 1 - basic distinctions

The case of semantic predication stems from the Davidsonian event semantics tradition.
Almost any verb in language induces an event. A sentence like ‘Liz married Richard’, together with being a statement (:liz :spouse :richard), induces the existence of an event e of type marriage marriage(e) with thematic roles agent(e)=Liz and patient(e)=Richard. When we say 'The marriage lasted from 1964 to 1974’, we add to the previously mentioned event (referred to by the anaphoric determiner ’The’) the thematic role period(e)=1964-1974. When we then say 'Liz married again Richard’ and ’This marriage lasted from 1975 to 1976’, we induce a distinct event e’ having different properties: marriage(e’), agent(e')=Liz, patient(e')=Richard, period(e')=1975-1976.

But in RDF, how do we say 'again’?
My proposed ’trick’ is to create special types of marriage events, e.g., the first marriage, the second marriage, etc. Why does this trick work? Because in this case the two spouses together with the special type of marriage event (the first, the second, …) UNIQUELY identify all the other properties of any event instance in the domain of interest (the period, the place, the residence or whatever else).

The general principle to deal with multi-edges and semantic predication is to make sure while modelling that the event type together with the subject and the object uniquely identify any other property that the event may have. So, nothing to do with the Singleton Property.

cheers
-e.