Re: "Multi-Edge Support in RDFn" slides

Suppose there are two RDF graphs, each available on the web at well-known
sites, i.e., many people would believe that they are part of the linked data
cloud.

The first graph contains at least the following triple:

<http://example.com/kennedy> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person> .

The second graph contains at least the following triple:

<http://example.com/kennedy> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Place> .

If IRIs denote the same thing everywhere then it seems to me that everyone is
committed to <http://example.com/kennedy> being an instance of both
<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person> and <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Place>.

There is no problem in RDF or RDFS with this being the case, but I don't think
that it matches most peoples' understanding of any world close the world that
we live in.

In my view one should say something more like:

When combining RDF graphs, IRIs are combined as-is but blank nodes generally
need to be renamed so that there are no collisions between the blank nodes
from different graphs.

Blank nodes absolutely do denote, just like global existential variables
denote.   It is just that what they denote is in some sense less determined
than what IRIs denote.

peter