Re: the role of public-rdf-shapes@w3.org

It is not helpful when responses from working group members come back with
incorrect information or are hostile to fixing problems that have been
noticed, such as
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-shapes/2016Sep/0031.html and
also other recent responses which I am prepared to directly mention if you
still want me to.  Such responses are much more likely when working group
members respond directly instead of having the working group respond after
some internal discussion.  If such responses are not directly challenged by
the working group chair or other working group members they end up being
associated with the working group as a whole.

The working group should be involved in attempts to craft fixes to problems
brought up in external comments.  The working group may decide that a
particular problem can be best solved by a discussion between the commenter
and a member of the working group, but that should only be done in specific
cases.  Having fixes come from unrestrained communications between commenters
and multiple individual members of the working group can easily lead to poor
solutions.

It may be possible in some cases for direct communication between commenters
and individual working members to come up with good solutions.  This is likely
to only be possible the working group members involved in the discussion are
knowledgeable and deferential to the concerns addressed by the commenters.
This is not currently happening in too many cases.

As far as I know there is no closure on most of the recent issues that I have
discovered so it is too early to categorically state that final answers are
not adequately addressing my concerns.  However, the current situation is not
encouraging.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Nuance Communications