Re: AW: Thoughts on validation requirements

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/27/2014 02:36 AM, Bosch, Thomas wrote:
>
>> Hi Dimitris
>>

>> Although I do not have any industry experience in this field, I have the
>> following to note from my related research.
>>
>> If we want RDF to become mainstream we shouldn't expect people to learn
>> OWL,
>> logics & Manchester syntax in order to formulate or understand a simple
>> constraint.
>> They should exist somehow but should be moved as many levels up as
>> possible.
>> Similarly for SPARQL.
>>

> What do you suggest should be the minimal level of learning to be able to
> formulate or understand a simple constraint?  Please include examples of
> simple constraints that can be formulated and understood using only this
> level of learning.

I know that everything I say here will have a OWL, SPIN or whatever
equivalent that will do the job and there has been many examples in this
list before.
Personally I would prefer a language that (re)defines basic constraints
like domain, range & cardinality and does some basic calculations on
objects (e.g. patterns, string functions, language tags)
This means that the basic level of understanding would be RDF and allowed
values in subjects / predicates / objects, what is a class / property and
the meaning of rdfs domain & range.

Beyond that, I would prefer to provide SPARQL expression snippets e.g. (p1
> p2). So SPARQL querying would be an additional requirement for more
advanced rules

Dimitris

--
Dimitris Kontokostas