Re: Shapes - sub-classes / sub-properties

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that this is a helpful way of describing the problem.

I think there are different problems and needs and different strategies to
solve some of them.

My view is that there are two interconnected notions in play here.  The
> first is determining the consequences of some representation of
> information.  The second is determining whether some representation
> explicitly represents some information.  Reasoners provide implementations
> of the first notion. Constraint checkers provide implementations of the
> second.

Maybe, my notion of shape checking is more low level than your notion of
constraint checker. You say that constraint checkers determine whether some
representation explicitly represents some information...but maybe that
information is not at the same level than the information the reasoner is
working on. I mean, the reasoner is usually working with domain concepts,
while shape checking is working with RDF graphs...It is just trying to
check if some RDF graph contains some triples with some specific shape.

It is possible that it will not be helpful in some use cases, but I have
found that when you are trying to integrate RDF graphs from different
linked data portals, you would like to have some description of the
contents of those RDF graphs so you can automatically check if you are
really retrieving those triples, and when you publish RDF graphs or work
with a team of developers you would like an easy way to tell them which
triples they have to publish in a way that they can validate if they are
really producing the required triples. For these use cases, I have found
that shape expressions are a very good tool.

That's all exceedingly general so far, so let's make it a bit more
> concrete. Let's say that our representation language is triples, and that
> this language has meaning as in RDFS or OWL.  In some cases here, but
> certainly not all, a reasoner can operate by adding more triples to a
> graph, namely triples that are consequences of the triples in the graph.
>  How constraint checkers work is undetermined as of yet, because the
> language of constraints has not yet been given.  Let's go with something
> simple - constraints that require instances of particular classes to
> explicitly have certain information associated with them.   A constraint
> checker would then have two parts - one that determined which objects
> belonged to a class and the other that determined whether the graph
> explicitly contains the required information.
>
> Where does shape checking fit here?  Nowhere yet.  I may be that the
> second part of the constraint checker is a shape checker.  However, it may
> not be. To fix on shape checking as even a way to determine whether a graph
> contains enough information to be suitable for use before figuring out what
> sorts of information checking is needed is putting the cart before the
> horse.  To fix on shape checking as the only way is having a cart with no
> horse.

That's why I think shape checking should not be the "only way". Maybe, it
is just a way to describe the shapes of horses and carts before processing
them.

To my mind, shape checking is like checking whether the least significant
> bit of a memory loacation is zero or one.  Sure you can implement even and
> odd testing this way, but it's not the right way of specifying the problem.

I think you are right and Shape checking is more low level than constraint
checking in general. However, I also think there are plenty of practical
applications where one would like to have some way to declare the shapes of
RDF graphs in a easy and automatically verifiable way.

Best regards, Jose Labra

--
Saludos, Labra