Re: Shapes/ShEx or the worrying issue of yet another syntax and lack of validated vision.

On 7/16/14, 11:16 PM, Dam, Jesse van wrote:
> Hi,...
> Another thing you can not do in OWL is to define the following:
> Type A -> ex:samepred1 -> Type B
> Type C -> ex:samepred1 -> Type D
> If you would define this in OWL you will also get, because OWL is property oriented and a property can only define a range and domain
> Type A -> ex:samepred1 -> Type D
> Type C -> ex:samepred1 -> Type B
> Which is something we do not want.
I would use owl:allValuesFrom in local restrictions to express that in
the context of A, samepred1 can only have B etc.

> Secondly as noted on the wiki i will be using it to generate user interface forms and interface code, which can not be done with neither OWL or SPIN, but can be done with OSLC ResourceShapes.
We use SPIN declarations also to drive user interfaces. If you are
interested look at SPARQL Web Pages and its SWA library (links on
TopQuadrant's web page). In a nutshell, to display an input form for
instances of a given class, we have SPARQL-based logic that looks at

- rdfs:domain/range definitions
- local owl:Restrictions (owl:allValuesFrom, cardinality)
- any declared spin:constraints, especially spl:Argument definitions but
also other template calls

These are fairly good heuristics to determine which properties are
"relevant" for the class. It also shows in practice that most people out
there make use of RDFS and OWL constructs to tell other people and
applications about how valid instances should be created. Whether this
is good or bad is another question, but that's the reality. Most people
in my experience don't care about open world semantics, but of course
nobody would admit that because it's against the specs and thousands of
academic papers.

Cheers,