Re: Validation and cool URIs

Holger,

You wrote: "What I haven't understood yet is how those principles are
supposed to work in the original two Shapes submissions, where resources
do not even have to have an rdf:type - how is this going to be
self-describing data? What is the entry point into the validation?"

Short answers:
- It is self-describing because the Shape is either linked to the service
description or the instance document.
- The entry point is the entire RDF document (aka graph) just like in
SPARQL.  There is not necessarily a special node in the graph. You use a
general graph pattern to either find a subgraph that must exist (an
assertion), or to find a subgraph that must not exist (a constraint
violation).

Long answers:
The Shapes submission is motivated by Linked Data API considerations. Here
one deals with REST services. For example, when creating new resources,
one POSTs an RDF document to some URL. We want to describe the API
contract for the service. The service is described by a Service
Description resource. The Service Description resource refers to the Shape
accepted by the POST request. Shape may require that the request contains
a node with an rdf:type property. However, the Shape may apply to several
different rdf:types. The Shape is therefore attached to the service, not
each type. After the resource is POSTed, the service may added new
triples, so the Shape of the created resource is different than the Shape
of the POST request. The created resource may contain a link to its Shape.
A service that lets you query across a set of resources may also link to a
set of Shapes that define the data available for querying. This metadata
both tells you what properties are available and may let you define more
efficient queries.

The above use cases are orthogonal to use cases where an RDF class defines
constraints that must be universally obeyed, independent of the context,
i.e. a bicycle must have two wheels.

Regards,
Arthur Ryman, PhD

Chief Data Officer, Rational
Chief Architect, Portfolio & Strategy Management
Distinguished Engineer | Master Inventor | Academy of Technology

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)