Re: Hash URIs and RDFa documents

Hi!

I have been thinking the following regarding fragment identifiers.
Given an *information* resource (IR):

    http://example.org/about

Say it has the following representations:

    http://example.org/about.html
    http://example.org/about.n3

These are distinct resources.

When requesting <http://example.org/about> (an IR) with HTTP using
content negotiation (here asking for "text/html") allows the server to
send a 200 OK upon request, with the body being from
<http://example.org/about.html> (given in Content-Location).

(This is different from conneg on non-IR:s, which require 303:ing.)

I then stipulate that these two are owl:differentFrom each other (not
necessarily, but quite possibly):

    http://example.org/about#me
    http://example.org/about.html#me

The first identifies a non-IR, i.e. *me* (because I define it as that,
as (fictive) owner of example.org). The other, perhaps an element in
the html (not the bytes, but the DOM? this quickly gets slippery).

The HTTP + HTML (web browser) mechanics makes it work for me to
request <http://example.org/about#me>, receiving the html according to
above without any "change in the url bar" (i.e. "browser mechanics"),
and thus the browser view jumps to the element referenced by the
fragment identifier (the id alone, from the URI having been
*string-parsed* by the browser). But that is not the element's URI. It
*could* be, possibly, <http://example.org/about.html#me>. Those
semantics (or lack thereof) are reasonably under the provenance of the
html spec authors.

(I'm not really claiming anything about what
<http://example.org/about.html#me> identifies. I think that, even with
@id being present in the document, it's not actually defined. But for
this reason I think it's advisable to avoid using them, at least as
URI:s for non-IR:s.)

I think <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/> support these claims, but I
could have mixed things up here.

What do you say?

(If these claims aren't just nonsense, getting the triples right in
RDFa for a document carrying triples about both </about> and
</about.html> (and fragments based on them) is an interesting next
exercise..)

Best regards,
Niklas