Re: Telecon Agenda - November 12, 2009, 1600 UTC

Quick follow up.  With regard to Mark's proposal at [1]:

PROPOSAL

So to bring everything together, the proposal is:

 (a) RDFa should add support for URIs in attributes that currently only
     support CURIEs;

 (b) authors should be encouraged to use safe-CURIEs in those
     attributes;

 (c) but since ordinary CURIEs may still be used, we should differentiate
     by saying that anything appearing before a colon, that is not a
     mapped prefix, is a protocol.

I disagree with (b).  I don't think there is any need for this.  If the
processing rules are handling this, then in these contexts there is no
need to use a safe curie.  On the other hand, the TAG will have a cow if
we permit URIs and CURIEs in the same place.  That was their principle
objection to the CURIE spec.  How do we overcome that hurdle?

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Jul/0062.html

Shane McCarron wrote:
> FWIW, I think I agree with Mark on this one.  It is low hanging fruit.
>
> Note that no matter what, changes like these are things that relate to
> a future version of RDFa, not to the current version.
>
> Mark Birbeck wrote:
>> Hi Manu,
>>
>> I'm afraid I still disagree with the priorities here, for the reasons
>> explained at [1] and [2].
>>
>> Whilst some kind of vocabulary extension is of course important, as
>> far as I know the only substantial criticism that has been levelled at
>> RDFa is its requirement to use CURIEs/prefix mappings, and so I think
>> we should really put some effort into addressing that.
>>
>> Fixing this would be low-hanging fruit, for us.
>>
>> It simply requires us to agree on how we allow full URIs in @rel,
>> @rev, @property, @typeof and @datatype.
>>
>> (I had a full proposal at [3], which seemed to be supported on the
>> list. Toby had an issue with how my proposal related to  existing eRDF
>> content, using the example of "dc:creator" -- but this might be
>> incorrect, because as far as I can see, eRDF uses dots not colons.)
>>
>> I realise that Hixie would prefer to have no prefix mappings at all in
>> RDFa, but I think that horse has bolted.
>>
>> But I do think that providing support for full URIs, so that authors
>> at least have the choice of whether to use prefixes or not, would go a
>> long way towards answering his criticism.
>>
>> And it's not as if the feature isn't useful, either; when using small
>> 'packets' of RDFa, such as on one or two elements, it's often more
>> convenient to provide the complete URI, and not bother at all with
>> prefix mappings.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> [1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Oct/0045.html>
>> [2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Oct/0050.html>
>> [3] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Jul/0062.html>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Birbeck, webBackplane
>>
>> mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com
>>
>> http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck
>>
>> webBackplane is a trading name of Backplane Ltd. (company number
>> 05972288, registered office: 2nd Floor, 69/85 Tabernacle Street,
>> London, EC2A 4RR)
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have a telecon in 1.5 hours, let's try to get a game plan together on
>>>  implementing an experimental @vocab extension for extending the list of
>>> reserved words.

>>> Thursday, November 5th 2009
>>> 1500 UTC, W3C Zakim bridge
>>> tel:+1.617.761.6200 conference code RDFA