Re: Discussion with Ian and Henri about HTML5+RDFa (part 2/2)

Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 26/1/09 02:55, Ben Adida wrote:
>> On the issue of cut-and-paste: Creative Commons is, to my knowledge, the
>> biggest publisher of RDFa, and we haven't had much trouble getting users
>> to copy and paste proper RDFa. It's also been no problem getting folks
>> to add more complex ideas, like attribution name and URL (in fact, many
>> are pressing us to add more to our vocabulary, and we're being very
>> careful to do that only after serious consideration.)
>
> That's great. When I talked with Ian he was asking how many RDFa use
> cases were in the 'copy and paste something I don't understand' area
> (akin to .js widgets), versus copy/paste but edit and tweak, vs hand
> author etc. It is very good to have implementor feedback. Have you done
> any statistics to see what proportion of CC RDFa is still a sensible RDF
> graph, how often it is customised/tweaked and so on?

I don't have any decent statistics, but I've got some quick
hacked-together data at http://philip.html5.org/data/cc-errors.txt

Brief summary:
As of a year ago, 0.1% of pages on dmoz.org (132 in my sample) had CC
RDFa embedded in comments. (0.01% had it outside comments). Only one
wasn't well-formed XML. Eight had an empty <License> element (I have no
idea if that's a bad thing or not but it seemed odd). Two made incorrect
assertions about licenses (e.g. saying that by-nc-nd permits
DerivativeWorks), which looks like a case of
copy-and-paste-and-tweak-and-get-it-wrong. So the error rate is low
non-zero integer percentages.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk