Re: [whatwg] Alternative method of declaring prefixes in RDFa (was Re: RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector)

Ivan Herman wrote:

> Personally, I always regarded the @prefix solution as being conceptually
> equivalent to @xmlns which also means that I would have the possibility
> to add a @prefix on any element (thereby defining the prefix for that
> part of the subtree). (This may also be a help in the cut-and-paste
> issue that you referred to in your discussion with Henri and Ian.) Using
> the <meta> element for the same purpose would either (a) restrict its
> usage to where that element can be used in the current HTML spec, ie,
> the header or (b) extending the content model of HTML to include <meta>
> anywhere. In my view, (a) would seriously reduce the usability of prefix
> definition; (b) would lead to much more work for HTML parsers, that is
> why the RDFa group (in spite of its initial designs...) decided to keep
> strictly to attributes.

Having @prefix as an attribute that is in "Common" and available on all
elements is a requirement.  I think that what Manu was driving at was an
alternate way to declare prefixes in the head.  This is something that
has been discussed many times as a convenience method.  I think it is a
fine additional mechanism for defining the base collection of prefix
mappings for a document.  You could of course override these inline
using @prefix of @xmlns.