Re: Validator for HTML5+RDFa minus CURIEs

[Manu, sorry you got two copies of this. I initially sent it with my
other e-mail address which the W3C listserv doesn't like.]

Manu Sporny wrote:

> You can test it out on the following example that Dan Brickley put
> together (and I modified, slightly):
>
> http://rdfa.digitalbazaar.com/demos/html5/nocuries.html

For what its worth, Swignition has supported full URIs in RDFa
attributes pretty much since I first implemented RDFa support:

http://srv.buzzword.org.uk/turtle/rdfa.digitalbazaar.com/demos/html5/
nocuries.html

If, say, an "http" CURIE prefix is defined, then it will be used, but
if the CURIE->URI code finds that the CURIE has not been defined,
then it falls back to treating it as a URI. This is not specific to
"http" - I just used that as an example - similarly if "skos" is used
but hasn't been defined, then "skos:Concept" will be treated as it it
were an absolute URI!

Manu also wrote, regarding <meta name="prefix">:

> This was discussed as a possibility at one point, I don't quite
> remember
> what the argument was against it. Perhaps somebody else on the list
> can
> remember?

I can't remember this exact syntax being suggested, but I suggested:

<link rel="schema.foaf" href="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">

Which is what eRDF uses. One objection people had to it was that it
didn't offer a method to scope a prefix declaration to just part of
the page. This can be addressed by adding about="#foo" to the <link>
and then id="foo" to the part of the page though.

Another more important objection, which I have conceded is a good
argument against it, is that it forces all prefix declarations to be
in the <head> of the document. This means that people can't easily
offer all-in-one chunks of RDFa for people to use on their pages.
e.g. Creative Commons gives a snippet of XHTML for people to paste
into their pages - with xmlns prefix declarations (or with @prefix)
they could include the declarations in the same snippet of code.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>