Contd: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> To reiterate: I have approached and been approached by a number of
>> people in the RDF and RDFa communities, and I have repeatedly asked
>> for people to list problems and use cases that are of relevance in
>> the context of RDFa and RDF, with those problem descriptions not
>> mentioning RDFa or other technical solutions. So far we have seen
>> *very few* of these.
>>

> Ian,
>
> I am quite relieved by your response.
>
> Here is an attempt at a use-case:
>
> When writing HTML (by hand or indirectly via a program) I want to
> isolate at describe what the content is about in terms of people,
> places, and other real-world things. I want to isolate "Napoleon" from
> a paragraph or heading, and state that the aforementioned entity is:
> is of type "Person" and he is associated with another entity "France".
>
> The use-case above is like taking a highlighter and making notes while
> reading about "Napoleon". This is what we all do when studying, but
> when we were kids, we never actually shared that part of our endeavors
> since it was typically the route to competitive advantage i.e., being
> top student in the class.
>
> What I state above is antithetical to the essence of the World Wide
> Web, as vital infrastructure harnessing collective intelligence.
>
> RDFa is about the ability to share what never used to be shared. It
> provides a simple HTML friendly mechanism that enables Web Users or
> Developers to describe things using the Entity-Attribute-Value
> approach (or Subject, Predicate, Object) without the tedium associated
> with RDF/XML (one of the other methods of making statements for the
> underlying graph model that is RDF).

To be a little clearer re. use-case:

Use of HTML to make annotations that aid the production and
dissemination knowledge on a global basis.

I shouldn't have to switch to another language in order to express or
identify concepts associated with the text/blurb in a Web page I am
reading, writing, or publishing.

President & CEO