RE: Why is there no RDFa syntax working draft?

From: Hausenblas, Michael <michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:47:07 +0200
To: "Dave Beckett" <dave@dajobe.org>
Cc: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>, "W3C RDFa task force" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Dave,

I very much appreciate the great work you do, and alike
your statements - this will certainly push us getting
things done ASAP.

Assuming Ben (with his TF chair hat on) will give you a
'more official' answer, I'll now try to give you some
answers based on my knowledge - from a practical point of view.

>Can you tell me why there is no working draft of the RDFa syntax?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer: It is the W3C Rec Track [1] ;)
Seriously. We are working like hell to get the according docs done.
We have resolved an array of issues in the past weeks and
months [2] and [3]. The most important message is: The syntax
is by and large stable!

>1) the way plain literal, typed literals and XML Literals are used.
>   A mess.  There is no need for XML literals when simple will do.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Do you refer to what
is written down in [4] or you mean what is (or is not yet) in the
RDFa Syntax document?

>2) the lack of profile so you cannot detect RDFa (raptor as used
>   by http://triplr.org/ hits this problem)

Hm. Again. Not sure if I understand correctly. Ralph's recent
post [5] might shed some light on this ...

>I just get the general feeling RDFa is not yet ready for
>general use and it would be risky to endorse or use now.

:)

Anyway. I'll take it as a motivation to prove that you are wrong ...

Cheers,
	Michael-also-just-speaking-for-himself

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#rec-advance
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/closed