Re: Determination of subjects/objects (was: ISSUE-42)

Ok, here is my use case, if I remember correctly:

- I generate RDFa (using the SWRC ontology) from BibTeX
- a paper has multiple authors
- there are many ways to represent that in RDF
- SWRC just uses multiple (book swrc:author aFOAFPerson) statements
for that
- however, that doesn't keep the order of the authors
- that's why I _also_ use one (book swrc_ext:authorList
sequenceOfAuthors) statement
- I do both because I want to stay compatible to the original SWRC,
but also give the possibility of getting the author order
- of course the foaf:Person resources in both approaches should be
the same
- I don't have URIs for the authors, so I need to use bnodes (or make
up URIs, which I don't want to do)
- because I want to refer to the same resource through both
swrc:author and swrc_ext:authorList, I need to be able to name the
bnodes within that graph
- i.e., I need named bnodes

I hope that makes sense. :)

Cheers,
Knud

Am 30.07.2007 um 18:18 schrieb Mark Birbeck:

> Hi Dan/Knud,
>
> The issue isn't bnodes, since we do have those in RDFa. The question
> is whether to support 'named bnodes', which you get in RDF by using
> @nodeID. (Early drafts of RDFa actually used to have a nodeID
> attribute.)
>
> I'm really interested to hear comments on the use-cases for this,
> which will most likely come from those who use RDF a lot. The main
> argument for its use in RDF more generally is to be able to have a
> bnode that can be referenced from within a graph, but that cannot be
> referenced outside that graph. In RDFa terms that would mean that you
> have created a bnode that you want to be able to refer to in some
> other part of the document, but you *don't* want anyone else in the
> world to be able to make statements about it.
>
> I can't think of any situations where I'd use that myself, but that
> doesn't mean a thing. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> On 30/07/07, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>>
>> Knud Hinnerk Möller wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I would really argue to have bnodes in RDFa: I know they are very
>>> unpopular, and vocabularies like FOAF now recommend against using
>>> them.
>>
>> No they don't :) well, foaf in particular...
>>
>> I put a #me into the FOAF spec example, that's all.
>>
>> RDF is a language for representing and aggregating partial
>> information
>> into a greater whole. Sometimes that information lacks statements,
>> sometimes those statements are missing well known identifiers.
>> Sometimes
>> the things the statements are about don't even have well known
>> identifiers.
>>
>> There are things in FOAF such as isPrimaryTopicOf which are
>> designed to
>> help people live in such a world. But there is nothing FOAF or
>> other RDF
>> vocabs can do to get away from the basic fact: informational is not
>> universally and evenly available. RDF authors do not have a godlike
>> access to every fact and every identifier they might need. And so RDF
>> data is inevitably a lossy, gappy thing. Sometimes missing
>> statements,
>> sometimes missing URIs. Because RDF is written by people, and
>> people do
>> not know everything. If they did, why would they bother exchanging
>> RDF
>> files with each other? :) And so we have bnodes.
>>
>> That said, "_:" in RDFa worries me too.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> --
>   Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer
>
>   mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
>   http://www.formsPlayer.com | http://internet-apps.blogspot.com

>   standards. innovation.

Knud Möller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie

Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
   Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh