Re: [RDFa] ISSUE-3 @class and @role for rdf:type

Ben Adida wrote:

> Mark,
>
>> I pressed send to early....anyway I don't think it's surprising that
>> I'm confused on what we're voting on, if you look at your first email
>> that kicked off this thread.
>
> I see what you're saying now. The way I phrased it, it sounded like
> everything is up in the air. In my mind, I was thinking that we were
> simply formalizing what we had already informally agreed upon.
>
> So, I'm still hoping we can formalize what we informally mentioned in
> the telecon on 5/31, which is that @class is rdf:type and @role is left
> to XHTML2, because otherwise we have a moving target.
>
> To Shane's comment:
>
>> Moreover, there is no "xhtml2" namespace, so saying xhtml2:role is
>> somewhat misleading.  XHTML2 uses the same namespace as XHTML 1 and
>> XHTML 1.1.
>
> Okay, I won't dig into these details of XHTML namespaces, but I do think
> we're getting ahead of ourselves here by adding @role in XHTML1.1+RDFa.
> Let's not try to stuff as much of XHTML2 into XHTML1.1+RDFa as we can...
> let's focus on RDFa, since that's the point of this work, right?
> Otherwise, that goes beyond the scope of our collaboration, and it needs
> a different numbering, e.g. XHTML1.2. I'm happy if XHTML folks define
> XHTML 1.2, but I don't think *we* as a joing group should be doing that
> now, since we're so close to XHTML1.1+RDFa, and @role doesn't seem to
> play a big role in our current informal agreement.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree with the general direction of your thoughts. @role is being
discussed by the XHTML group to be included into some future releases of
XHTML (I do not want to go into the debate of which version number this
will have:-). We should _not_ use that attribute and bring it forward,
so to say, to XHML1.1. I is not our role (sic!).

Formally, and to close the issue: I vote for @class as described.

Ivan