Re: CURIE syntax thoughts + @instanceof semantics

Mark,

I must say I do not fully agree with you. You said in one of your mail
that you are usually accused of being pedantic:-), well, it is my turn:-)...

The fundamental issue is: a bnode is _not_ a special URI, if one looks
at the RDF semantics. Yes, usually it is _used_ as a unique URI, but for
semantics people it is certainly different (Bnodes are existential
variables). Believe me, you would make lots of people very happy if you
were right:-)

That also means RDFa, in my view, _does_ impose an extra semantics on
top of CURIE. If, seeing the following code:

an RDFa processor generated

<SOMEUNIQUEURI> a:b c:d.

instead of

[] a:b c:d.

this would be, strictly speaking, an error, because RDFa defines _:a as
a _blank node_. As long as RDFa is used for plain RDF, it does not
really matter in practice, but if it is used to encode statements that
are related to some complex OWL-DL ontology, it begins to matter in
theory (again, in 99% of the practical cases it does not...).

That is why I also said: we already define an extra semantics on top of
CURIE-s, ie, adding an extra semantics for "_:" is not a big step.

Having said that: my real goal, obviously, is to solve the @instanceof
issue which is still open for me:-(

Ivan

P.S. Regardless of the "_:" issue: this drew my attention on the fact
that the CURIE syntax description in the RDFa syntax carefully avoids
the usage of the term 'BNode'. I think it should not. This seems to be a
general CURIE term that has a very specific 'mapping' if used in a
specific context like RDFa...