RE: Comments on RDF/A Syntax (Editor's Draft 27 October 2005)

Jeremy/Ben,

My first ever attempt at producing what became RDF/A actually did use
rdf:about [1]. In fact I tried to use *all* of the RDF/XML attributes, and
simply layer them onto XHTML. I was trying to make it so that a standard
RDF/XML parser could just start 'swallowing' RDF that it found in an XHTML
document. (An RDF/XML parser is supposed to skip over anything it doesn't
understand, so it's quite legitimate to place RDF/XML deep in a document.)

However, although I got close, it is actually not possible to do this (as
with a lot of things, it's the way predicates are done in RDF/XML that
ultimately catches you out). And in my view, unless the RDF attributes could
be used in their *proper* sense, they shouldn't be used at all. My
justification for this is not just because it might be confusing--although
that is certainly true--but also that just because I was not able to develop
a technique that incorporated *all* of the RDF/XML attributes into XHTML 2,
didn't mean that people couldn't still embed RDF/XML into XHTML documents in
the same way they could in any other documents. If we had co-opted the
RDF/XML attributes for our use but slightly changed the rules, it would
cause mayhem!

The next iteration on the path to RDF/A (called RDF/XHTML [2]) therefore
involved adding attributes that were specific to XHTML 2.

[1] http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/xhtml-meta-data-02.html
[2] http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/xhtml-meta-data-03.html

Mark Birbeck
CEO