From: "Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
To: "'Ben Adida'" <ben@mit.edu>; "'Jeremy Wong ???'" <jeremy@miko.hk>
Cc: <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 7:08 AM
Subject: RE: Comments on RDF/A Syntax (Editor's Draft 27 October 2005)

> Jeremy/Ben,
>
> My first ever attempt at producing what became RDF/A actually did use
> rdf:about [1]. In fact I tried to use *all* of the RDF/XML attributes, and
> simply layer them onto XHTML. I was trying to make it so that a standard
> RDF/XML parser could just start 'swallowing' RDF that it found in an XHTML
> document. (An RDF/XML parser is supposed to skip over anything it doesn't
> understand, so it's quite legitimate to place RDF/XML deep in a document.)

I cannot agree with you that an RDF/XML parser is supposed to skip over
anything it doesn't understand. It is because I wrote a RDF/XML parser
before in accordance with the RDF/XML Grammer [1]. However, it is still not
too difficult to implement RDF/A parser having experience in RDF/XML parser.

> However, although I got close, it is actually not possible to do this (as
> with a lot of things, it's the way predicates are done in RDF/XML that
> ultimately catches you out). And in my view, unless the RDF attributes
> could
> be used in their *proper* sense, they shouldn't be used at all. My
> justification for this is not just because it might be confusing--although
> that is certainly true--but also that just because I was not able to
> develop
> a technique that incorporated *all* of the RDF/XML attributes into XHTML
> 2,
> didn't mean that people couldn't still embed RDF/XML into XHTML documents
> in
> the same way they could in any other documents. If we had co-opted the
> RDF/XML attributes for our use but slightly changed the rules, it would
> cause mayhem!

You may concentrate on those frequently used attributes, including
rdf:about, rdf:resource, rdf:datatype, rdf:nodeID, xml:lang, xml:base. Other
RDF attributes should be "obsoleted" in RDF/A syntax. By the way, the
attribute "lang" no more exists in XHTML 1.1, "xml:lang" is forced to use
instead. Using "rdf:" prefix may not be so confusing...

> The next iteration on the path to RDF/A (called RDF/XHTML [2]) therefore
> involved adding attributes that were specific to XHTML 2.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1] http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/xhtml-meta-data-02.html
> [2] http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/xhtml-meta-data-03.html