From: "Ben Adida" <ben@mit.edu>
To: "Jeremy Wong 黃泓量" <jeremy@miko.hk>
Cc: <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: Comments on RDF/A Syntax (Editor's Draft 27 October 2005)

> Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for your comments. A quick response below.
>
>> 1. "rdf:about" instead of "about"
>> "rdf:about" is pretty well-known. To learn a new attribute,  "rdf:about"
>> and "about" are no difference. Just a name to remember...
>> e.g., <p rdf:about=""><a rel="dc:creator"
>> href="mailto:bill.gates@microsoft.com">Bill Gates</a> blah blah</p>
>> => { <> dc:creator <mailto:bill.gates@microsoft> . }
>
> Having rdf:about but xhtml2:rel, xhtml2:property, and xhtml2:href  seems
> inconsistent. Having them all scoped as rdf: is not possible  without
> adding to that namespace, which seems like overkill.
>
> Note also that rdf:about is completely unknown to the HTML community,  so
> I suspect this would cause more confusion than consistency.

Confusion is made to those whom they do not know XML Namespaces. Instead of
confusion, I would say that the use of the "rdf:" prefix discourages people
from using the RDF/A syntax. Simply one reason of discouragement, it looks
complicated. Don't ask me to learn any more...

The semantics of "about" should be exactly "rdf:about". xhtml:* attributes
are another things. I am not sure if it is inconsistent.

>> 2. use the "type" attribute for typed literal
>> The "type" attribute is from the anchor element.
>> e.g., <p rdf:about=""><a rel="dc:date"
>> type="xsd:dateTime">2005-11-25T00:46:00+0800</a> blah blah</p>
>> => { <> dc:date "2005-11-25T00:46:00+0800"^^xsd:dateTime . }
>
> So you're suggesting "type" instead of "datatype". I'm not expert  enough
> on this issue to say which is better. Any particular reason  for your
> suggestion?

I really made my message without proof-reading. I made a serious mistake
here. The "type" attribute of the anchor element is for media type, such as
MIME type. Datatype is totally a different thing. It takes QName instead.

>> 3. use of Production "propertyAttr" [1]
>> I recommend to use "propertyAttr" for the case of "nodeElement" [2]
>> only, never "emptyPropertyElt" [3]
>> e.g. <p rdf:about="" dc:subject="SemanticWeb">blah blah blah</p>
>> => { <> dc:subject "SemanticWeb" . }
>
> This is an issue which we've currently put off. In the current draft,  a
> property is never declared as an attribute except in special HTML-
> specific cases (like class and role). We may take this up again,  though
> right now we're leaning towards simpler, fewer methods of  saying the same
> thing.

I agree with your direction of simpler and fewer methods.

> -Ben

Jeremy Wong