Re: summary on options for JP-4 Comment about the semantics of property paths

Just for completeness and not to forget:

Birte's mail [1] indicated that marking Property paths informative/non-normative could also be
considered, also because of the things that remained unclear wrt. entailment regimes [2].

I'd rather call this a "variant" of Options 1-3, since this seems to be orthogonal...
We had discussed this briefly in the last Telco [3] but I have the feeling that the last
word here has not yet been spoken. Opinion on marking PPs optional (i.e. informative)
would be appreciated.

It'd be great to collect more on that per email (thanks all for the useful discussion!)
and we'will sum up in the upcoming Telco.

Just to get together where I understand we are now (also regarding the "numbering" of options):

Option 1... keep everything as it is in the grammar, and explain which DISTINCT path subqueries can be optimized
            (which in my understanding was, explaining the there was a set of query transformations that are
             equivalent to the possible semantics in the paper)
Option 2... Option 2 ... add DISTINCT around paths (which could be argued to be optimized, agreed?)
Option 3... leave things as they are, and pointing to a future WG regarding optimization.

Variants of these Options could be marking PPs informative (we may call them Option1*-Option3*),

Axel

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2012JanMar/0128.html
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-entailment/#property-path
3. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2012-02-07#line0084