Re: ACTION-419: Sync with Birte on Datatypes for canonicalisation

On 29/03/11 18:04, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2011, at 17:54, Birte Glimm wrote:
>
>> Hm, so "01"^^xsd:integer becomes "1.0"^^xsd:decimal?
>> That's what we do in HermiT since otherwise you wouldn't be able to
>> properly implement OWL reasoning with facets, but then I don't
>> understand the XML Schema Datatypes spec, which seems to suggest that
>> "1" is the canonical form of "01" for integers (definitely not "1.0").
>> In other places the spec says, however, that derived types inherit the
>> canonical forms from the primitive type and for integer the primitive
>> type is decimal, so from that one could understand "1.0" as decimal to
>> be the canonical representation of integer "01".
>
> Are you using Schema 1.1 (recommended even though not a recommendation!).

Curious - why?

(W3C question: as it's still a WD is it going to progress?)

> By that spec, you cannot consider "1.0" as decimal to be the canonical representation for "1" as integer. Heck, it's not the canonical representation for "1.0" as decimal!
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#decimal
> "The definition of the ·canonical representation· has the effect of prohibiting certain options from the Lexical Mapping (§3.3.3.1).  Specifically, for integers, the decimal point and fractional part are prohibited."
 >
> Algorithm is given in:
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#f-decimalLexmap
>
> Which dispatches to:
> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#nt-noDecNuml
>
> And this seems to be what Oracle does (from Matthew's email):
>
> "All the following go to xsd:decimal normalized to remove all leading and trailing
> zeros. Decimal point is not included if fractional part is zero.:"
>
> So, "01"^^xsd:integer and "1.0"^^xsd:decimal both go to "1"^^xsd:decimal.

Oh ... a bit annoying ...

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#decimal-canonical-representation

requires the decimal point.

As does Turtle in the short form.

Canonicalization and setting the datatype are different.

	Andy