Re: Service or graph store naming.

On Feb 8, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Andy Seaborne
>
>> ?? It can't be functional in all cases - suppose the dataset description is
>> rather minimal.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  I guess the question I was posing with
> that axiom is if it is the case that every service (SPARQL RDF
> protocol service or Dataset HTTP Protocol service) 'manages' one and
> only one graph store or RDF dataset.

To be clear, the part of the service description being discussed here is only the *default* dataset. A service can work over any number of datasets -- this is just the one that you get if you don't explicitly specify one.

>> And the domain of sd:defaultDatasetDescription is sd:Service and we might
>> have several services.
>
> Ok, but can any of them be associated with more than one dataset or graph store?

Probably not -- it can be associated with a GraphCollection (in SD speak), though. The dataset is just a view onto some subset of the graph collection.

>> Can we have multiple service descriptions (query, update,
>> RESTDatasetService) in one description? If so, which URL gets that
>> description?
>
> I wouldn't think so.  I've assumed that each service description
> document has only one sd:Service instance and

I think multiple service descriptions in one SD document would be perfectly fine. For example, having two endpoint urls /query and /update that use the same underlying service (with one accepting queries, the other updates), and both return the same document with two service descriptions (but perhaps a shared dataset description).

> (incorporating what
> Gregg said about the way the sd:url property is used), the service URL
> is
>
> SELECT ?SERVICE
> {
>  { ?SERVICE a sd:Service FILTER(isUri(?URL)) } UNION { ?ALIAS sd:url ?SERVICE }
> }

This is a misunderstanding. In my last email I tried to make clear that what's in the document right now was a regression from what was intended. The intention was only { [] sd:url ?SERVICE }, but I'm starting to think the original motivation for that isn't actually that great, and we might want to change it to just { ?SERVICE a sd:Service } (and maybe drop sd:url). I think having both would be confusing and not provide that much benefit. Thoughts on this?

.greg