Re: json result format --> new charter !?

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 10:51 -0400, Paul Gearon wrote:
> I agree with Andy. The spec isn't doing its job if most people eschew
> the formal part of the specification in favor of a Note. (A situation
> which I'm starting to see already)
>
> What exactly is needed right now? I think I can spare a little time
> for the next week.

Thank you, but I don't think there's much you can do to help.

To clarify, the problem is that the W3C Patent Policy is based on group
charters clearly identifying which technologies are going to be part of
Recommendations.  Those technologies then have some degree of protection
around patent matters.

Our old charter, unfortunately, did not indicate that the JSON results
format would be part of a Recommendation.  Because of the Patent Policy,
this is not the trivial change it might otherwise be.

It looks like the best solution is to recharter the group.   Normally,
that's a big deal, but because the rechartering is over such a small
matter, it should hopefully also be a small matter.

Rather than just changing "Working Group Note" to "Recommendation", the
chairs and I discussed getting the charter up-to-date on the schedule
and list of deliverables.  I've done this, and I'd appreciate a few more
pairs of eyes on it, to make sure I've done it right, before we send it
out for review by the Advisory Committee.

I believe that review is mandated to be at least four weeks, but I will
double check if there's some way to shortened in in this case.
Unfortunately, I don't think we can publish the FPWD until that review
is complete.

Here's the new charter text (including a link to a diff):
        http://www.w3.org/2011/05/sparql-charter

  -- Sandro