Re: description of WITH

On 04/05/11 02:14, Axel Polleres wrote:
> Note, I am mildly worried about that this rewritten text now means that
> WITH is *not* only a macro for GRAPH (which was what I had understood)
>
> take:
>
>   WITH<g>
>   INSERT { ?s ?p ?o }
>   USING<g1>
>   USING NAMED<g>
>   WHERE { ?s ?p ?o }
>

> my understanding was that this would be equivalent to:
>
> 1)
>   INSERT { GRAPH<g>  ?s ?p ?o }<- here<g>  points to<g>  in GS
>   USING<g1>
>   USING NAMED<g>
>   WHERE { GRAPH<g>  ?s ?p ?o }<- here<g>  points to<g>  in the dataset described by the UsingClauses
>
> i.e. WITH<g>  would not interfer with USING at all, but just expand any non-GRAPH pattern to GRAPH<g>
>
> in your understanding though, this would rather be equivalent to something like:
>
> 2)
>   INSERT { GRAPH<g>  ?s ?p ?o }<- here<g>  points to<g>  in GS
>   USING<g1>
>   USING NAMED<g>
>   WHERE { ?s ?p ?o }
>
> can you confirm this?
>
> The problem is that the treatment of option 2 might need some
> extra care/explanation in the formal semantics section, i.e. I need to re-check this, since
> that section was now was written in the understanding that WITH is pure syntactic sugar for
> adding GRAPH.
>
> I personally think behavior 1) is more intuitive, but I can live with 2) if it is what the majority wants
> and my understanding 1) was a misunderstanding.

I prefer (2).

Reading naively

    WITH <g>
    USING<g1>
    USING NAMED<g2>
    USING NAMED<g3>
    WHERE { ?s ?p ?o }

would result in WHERE going to <g1>  just from reading that operation.
"USING<g1>" is closer than the "WITH <g>" so think bracketting and I'd
expect that { ?s ?p ?o } matched on <g1>

Make that two

    WITH <g>
    USING<g1a>
    USING<g1b>
    USING NAMED<g2>
    USING NAMED<g3>
    WHERE { ?s ?p ?o }

and I'd read it as a merge of <g1a> and <g1b> as the default graph.

I take WITH to set the overall framework, and USING overrides by
declaring a dataset by description.

A case (3) is you can't have WITH and USING (it would be a syntax
error).  The argument is that WITH is used to connect the template and
pattern parts; but the effects on pattern are controlled by the USING*,
so use GRAPH in the template.