Re: what functions should we include in SPARQL 1.1?

On 10 Nov 2010, at 17:05, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 09/11/10 23:24, Axel Polleres wrote:

> >> Must have missed that - I don't recall a proposal to make the names
> >> keywords in the language for all mandatory functions from F&O - is the
> >> proposal to add new keywords for all required functions, then map to
> >> IRIs (sparqlfn:) and owl:sameAs to fn:.
> >
> > that'd work for me.
>
> It was a question - is that the proposal you are making?

Yes.

1) owl:sameAs is one possiblity.
We could describe such things in the sparqlfn: namespace document, right?

2) Alternatively/additionally we could also redirect that URI to the fn: one.
To be discussed.

3) this one is more speculative... could we also do something similar to RDFa's namespace profiles?
   (this is more a question than a proposal so far, because I don't know/understand that mechanism well enough yet)

>  It's not
> support - when there is a detailed proposal on the table I'll decide.
>
> I don't recall it coming up before and I don't understand the argument
> for adding more keywords to the language (it's a grammar change albeit
> with no issues arising). An open set of keywords based on prefixless
> usage is a problem for the grammar, e.g. function called "select".

It's simply weird for users IMO, if they have to use prefixes for some
of the default supported functions, but not for others.

best,
Axel