Re: Entailment Doc ready for review

On 21 September 2010 16:38, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 20/09/10 20:29, Birte Glimm wrote:
>>
>> We could also say that within the document an entailment regimes is
>> actually understood as taking an entailment relation and define
>> condiions on its use so that the SPARQL conditions on extensions are
>> met.
>
> I think that something along those lines would be a good idea.  When the
> terminology was deep inside the query spec, the somewhat technical
> definition was OK, but it's now part of a document title so a more
> accessible definition would be better.
>
>        Andy

Here's my suggestion (see also the updated ent. reg. doc). I also
tried to make it clearer in the abstract what an entailment regime is,
but the main new text is right at the beginning of the introduction
(Sec. 1):

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/entailment/xmlspec.xml

The SPARQL 1.1 Query specification [SPARQL 1.1 Query] defines the
evaluation of a basic graph pattern by means of subgraph matching.
This form of basic graph pattern evaluation is also called simple
entailment since it can equally be defined in terms of the simple
entailment relation between RDF graphs. In order to use more elaborate
entailment relations, which also allow for retrieving solutions that
implicitly follow from the queried graph, this document defines
several <em>entailment regimes</em>.
An entailment regime specifies how an entailment relation such as RDF
Schema entailment can be used to redefine the evaluation of basic
graph patterns from a SPARQL query making use of SPARQL's extension
point for basic graph pattern matching. In order to satisfy the
conditions that SPARQL places on extensions to basic graph pattern
matching, an entailment regimes specifies conditions that limit the
number of entailments that contribute solutions for a basic graph
pattern. For example, only a finite number of the infinitely many
axiomatic triples can contribute solutions under RDF Schema
entailment. The entailment relations used in this document are common
semantic web entailment relations: RDF entailment, RDF Schema
entailment, D-Entailment, OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics entailment, OWL 2
Direct Semantics entailment, and RIF-Simple entailment.

Birte

--
Dr. Birte Glimm, Room 309
Computing Laboratory