Re: Some Embedding necessary for RIF-Simple - Was Re: [TF-Ent] RIF Core Entailment section

Chime,

I do not understand...

On 2010-3-12 21:10 , Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> So as I was taking another pass through the Simple RIF Core section, I
> noticed a problem that I will need to addressed.  In short, without some
> amount of 'embedding', RIF-Simple entailment will behave in a
> counter-intiuitive way if there is no correspondence between statements and
> frames, rdf:type and #.
>
> Consider the example below
>
> Scoping Graph
> -------------
> _:a rdf:type _:b
> <> rif:imports <emptyRules>

My understanding of the proposed semantics (by Axel) for rif:imports is
that this combination is transformed as follows:

1. Starting point
G: _:a rdf:type _:b .
   <> rif:imports <R> .
R: empty

2. Apply the semantics
G': _:a rdf:type _:b
R': Import(G, <http://www.w3.org/2007/rif-import-profile#Simple>)

(whether the <> rif:imports <R> is removed from G is still an open
question but does not seem to influence this issue)

3. From the RIF point of view, that is equivalent to:

R'' : _a # _b .

(using RIF's unique id-s which look very much like skolemization to me).

Which means that...

> Where emptyRules.rif is an empty document
>
> A SPARQL query such as SELECT ?THING ?CLASS { ?THING a ?CLASS } will return
> nothing!  In fact (as I understand it - I'm hoping someone else can confirm
> this) *all* queries will return nothing with the current language:
>
> "A solution mapping μ is a?possible solution [...] such that sk(P(BGP)) are
> well-formed RDF triples that are RIF-Simple entailed by the?RIF-RDF
> combination formed from sk(SG) and the?strongly safe?RIF core documents
> referenced from SG via the rif:imports predicate"
>
> As a result of condition 7 for common-RIF-RDF-interpretations <I',I> (where
> I' is a RIF-BLD semantic structure and I is a simple interpretation), the
> scoping graph is not satisfiable by such an I in a
> common-RDF-RDF-interpretation.  In particular IEXT(IS(rdf:type)) is *not*
> equal to the set of all pairs (a,?b) in?Dind?×?Dind (since the latter is an
> empty set).

This is not an empty set, see above...

Do I severely miss something here?

Actually, if what you say was true, then I think there is a problem in
the RIF-RDF document. That has to be signalled to the RIF group

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
FOAF   : http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf